For a place to be one of the Best Spring Break Beach Destinations, it should be affordable, temperate, popular, and accessible within the US.
Get ready to refresh, renew, and rebloom, as Spring is coming up!
Spring break is kind of a short break but an opportunity to steam off from your work or study and plan it on a beautiful nearby beach destination.
However, for a destination to be one of the Best Spring Break Beach Destinations, it should be affordable, temperate, popular, and accessible within the US.
Let’s explore the one you’ll love as your next spring break beach destination.
Check Also: Best Breezy Spring Dresses for a Beach Vacation
Top 10 Best Spring Break Beach Destinations in the US
With 24 miles of sugary white sands, emerald green, and warm waters; you’d be a fool not to choose Destin as a spring break beach destination.
Destin avoids the type of party-oriented high school and college Spring Breakers.
It’s obvious when numerous families show up each Spring Break to unwind on the exquisite beaches of Destin.
Besides Destin, Fort Walton Beach and Okaloosa Island offer water activities i.e. boating, fishing, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, parasailing, and more.
Destin is also popular as the World’s Luckiest Fishing Village. You can also opt for more adventurous activities like an exhilarating jet ski ride in the bay. You will enjoy tasting the thrill of racing across the top of the water.
Apart from the thrill, you can also go on the zip line, rock-climbing wall, sightseeing, and dolphin-watching guided tours.
For accommodation, there are various choices from RV campsites to bnbs, hotels, resorts, and vacation rentals.
Key West, Florida
Undoubtedly, one can’t resist spending his/her next spring break in glorious sun-baked Key West which is located at the southernmost point in the continental US.
You can’t imagine that Key West is packed to the brim with bikinis-babes and board shorts-boys during the spring break.
The beautiful island offers tropical cool breezes, balmy golden beaches, and the most popular Duval Street. The street is a mile-long stretch of bars, and boutiques.
Ernest Hemingway did some of his amazing writing and cocktailing here, and you can do too!
You can relax under the sunshine at Smathers Beach which is the longest shoreline in the Keys. Or join other spring breakers just off the Mallory Square at Sunset Pier to enjoy the routine sunset celebration.
Don’t skip the dinner at Santiago’s Bodega or on the Blue Heaven. You can also enjoy tasting sips of authentic mojitos and margaritas at jaunty pubs i.e. Rick’s Tree Bar, the Schooner Wharf Bar, or the Green Parrot.
The grandpa of all spring break beach destinations – South Beach is a one-of-a-kind Miami beach that has it all. For example, a free entrance amusement park for adults.
Or you can just enjoy people-seeing as people from all over the world gather here to spend a good time under the balmy Florida sun and sip mojitos at sidewalk cafés under the dancing palm trees.
You don’t wanna miss seeing the beautiful bikinied bodies in Ray-Bans walk by and waving at handsome guys in cherry-red convertibles.
South Beach’s charming Art Deco buildings become famous in many movies and television series. The unique vibe is best felt in the district’s numerous lively bars and pubs, restaurants, cafes, and clubs.
They are just a few steps away from the soft sands with the warm Atlantic waters always in view. In short, a South Beach at Miami gives you a spring break beach experience that you never forget.
Daytona Beach, Florida
Daytona beach town first gained popularity from its annual Daytona 500 stock car race that took place right on the shore.
Even nowadays, some parts of the 23-mile-long white-sand stretch are free to drive on. A tip to drive: is best to do it with an SUV.
Thus, this balmy resort town is becoming popular as the best drive-in spring break beach heaven for young people eager to escape the long northern winter.
Once they reach here, they party naughtily and drive heartily before returning to school or work. Besides driving on the shore, other beach attractions include parasailing, jet-skis, sailing, and beach volleyball.
And at night, spring breakdance parties often run till Sun. The most popular night hotspots are the Bank Blues Club and the Ocean Deck Club with its spunky Reggie Bar that is just right on the beach.
You can also have fun at Florida’s mega theme parks in Orlando which is just an hour’s drive inland.
Long Beach, California
Don’t make summer vacation an excuse to visit Long Beach. Spring break is the perfect time for a getaway on Long Beach.
Go and take benefits of lower hotel rates, free beaches, less crowd, and short queues at the best seafood restaurants around.
Moreover, Long Beach allures spring breakers with its image of sun-bronzed boys and bikini-clad girls along its eight-mile-long stretch of sand. Go and check one of the most exquisite beaches here – the Alamitos Bay.
Here, you’ll find a lot of kayaks or kiteboarding rentals. One of the attractions of Long Beach is its spirited nightlife, you can opt from Latin lounges to jazz clubs.
Things you can do in a Long Beach, California:
- See the Season Transition: First and foremost, you’ll love to see the season change as the marshes turn from brown to bright green and the air blends with cool water breezes.
- Instagram hotspot: The natural beauty will inspire you and offer an incredible backdrop for some amazing Instagram posts.
- Beachcombing: Beat the summer crowd and hit the serene beach with your loved one. Find shells and spring treasure in the sand such as pastel-colored sea glass that washes ashore in the spring season.
- Sun worshippers Heaven: Enjoy the sunrise and sunsets on less crowded Long Beach in spring.
- Freebies Season: Beach Tags, also known as beach badges of a minimum of $5/day are not required in early spring so enjoy the beauty and fun of Long Beach without paying much.
- Bird watching: In the spring season, ospreys fly north and nest in the coastal areas. Long Beach has built some platforms, especially for osprey nests along the marshes. Paddle around the bay by kayak and see those beautiful ospreys with your binoculars.
- Surfing: Spring is an ideal season for surfing, make sure to pack your wetsuit!
- Flying Kites: Flying kites in the ocean breeze is a classic, family fun beach experience to cherish.
- Earth Day: Celebrate Earth Day at Long Beach by learning about bay-friendly gardening and purchasing native plants.
- Visit the Barnegat Lighthouse: Climb the stairs up to the top and cherish the 360-degree view.
South Padre Island, Texas
Right in the Gulf of Mexico, the beautiful South Padre Island lies on the southern tip of Texas.
Each year, countless Spring Break flocks gather on the 24 miles of beaches and homes in the large resorts that provide all-day activities from live concerts to contests, to giveaways.
The beach allowed alcohol and booze, this makes it one of the best hangout beaches on the island.
Moreover, the legendary nightlife of South Padre Island makes it one of the best spring break beach destinations for night-owls.
As the largest clubs are spilled up with almost 15,000 Spring Breakers every night! You’ll always find a party happening in South Padre Island during Spring Break, from a beach day party to spend the night at the bars with friends.
Make sure to be 20+ for drinking. Further, the hotels in South Padre Island during spring are incredibly affordable and in the ideal location for college cohorts.
Besides college students, this Island is popular among families too. As it offers paddleboards, kayaks, jet skis, and kiteboards for rent for families.
Kids can learn about sea turtles or even improve their sandcastle building skills on this island.
Chincoteague Island, Virginia
For families with kids, look no further for a Spring Break beach destination than the charming little island of Chincoteague pronounced as ‘chinka-teak’.
It is just a morning’s drive from Washington DC. Chincoteague Island is usually crowded during the summer months, however, its natural beauty can be genuinely enjoyed in spring.
For nature-lovers, Chincoteague Island is a wildlife refuge that is open all year. The island offers tours of wildlife in their natural habitats and activities such as fishing, riding horses, renting bicycles, visiting museums, hiking, etc. In short, Chincoteague Island has it all for spring breakers.
This Island comprises twelve miles of scenic Atlantic Ocean beaches.
- Water activities for spring breakers are fishing, boating, parasailing, kayaking, jet-skiing, sailing, and more.
- Land exploration includes biking, golf, horseback riding, and admiring nature.
- Pet-friendly There is good news for people who come with their pet buddies, that until Memorial Day weekend pets are warmly welcome on beaches as long as they’re on a leash. This makes it one of the best Pet-friendly Spring Break Beach Destinations in the US.
- Foodie Paradise Restaurants, pubs, bars, and cafes don’t let their hungry visitors sad with their mouth-watering options.
- Accommodations range from hotels, inns, motels, resorts, and home rentals that are perfect for families or groups of friends. Tip: all are listed on the Hilton Head site.
- Top-up activity If you still have some time and some money, go for a side trip to Savannah or Beaufort for a nice change of scenery and feel.
Cannon Beach, Oregon
Cannon Beach is worthy to visit any time of year, however, there are some truly amazing experiences that only spring break will offer for nature-lovers.
On a spring break, you not only steam off the summer crowds, but also you’ll see the colorful Tufted Puffins, explore the fresh tidepools, attend spring special events, and maybe catch a peek at a spouting whale.
- Tufted Puffins: Spring is the best season to get a chance to see Oregon’s colorful Tufted Puffins that return to nest on Haystack Rock each April. Spring break at Cannon Beach offers you the most accessible place and time in the Pacific Northwest to see these vibrant furry fellows. The annual return of these celebrities is being celebrated at Cannon Beach. Moreover, you’ll also likely watch nesting cormorants, gulls, Pigeon Guillemots, and Black Oystercatchers in the spring season.
- Explore Freshest tidepools: Spring low tides are worth exploring the vibrant life in the tidepools. The spring season comes with low tides, exposing certain intertidal areas that have been mostly hidden underwater. Some of the hidden gems like Haystack Rock, Lion Rock at Arcadia Beach, and the rocks at Silver Point, you can see the incredible sea stars, hermit crabs, darting sculpin, green anemones, and even colorful sea slugs – nudibranchs.
- Peek a spout: The spring migration of Gray Whales is a leisurely one, as they linger to feed or lead their newborn calves gently along the shore past Cannon Beach. Keep your eye to peeking out the spouts whenever you have an elevated view of the sea. Ecola State Park, the dunes along the beach, and almost any upper floor beachfront hotel room offer you a perfect location to see a spout.
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Wrightsville Beach is featured as “Best Spring Break Destinations in the U.S.” by Travel and Leisure as having a variety of things to do during spring break.
It comes with numerous outdoor experiences both on water and on land.
The picturesque beauty of this beach is simply breathtaking as you set out on water tours.
- Cherish the coastal spring blossoms in area parks and gardens.
- Get active with spring wellness activities:
- SUP race to the finish line at the Wilmington
- NC Marathon Madness
- Get a part in a Boston Marathon qualifier winding from pier to port.
- Ride to two wheels at the U.S. Open Fat Bike Beach Championship.
- Get a thrilling experience to ride a wave in the birthplace of North Carolina surfing.
- Find your balance and body harmony with a standup paddleboarding tour or lesson.
- Enjoy sipping handmade mouthwatering cocktails with other spring breakers
- Or simply spend days unwinding by the sea with family.
Whatever type of getaway you’re planning for, head out to Wrightsville beach and craft your spring break.